The neighbor kids were over the other day helping me pinch off the ends of some fresh green beans and shucking some corn for dinner so thought I would share our quick and easy mess-free way of serving these summertime veggies straight off the grill.
Start with a preheated grill over medium high heat.
Corn on the Cob with Citrus Butter
I would venture to say that butter is not necessary on fresh sweet corn but give this a try if you are looking for a way to brighten up your corn on the cob.
- For Citrus Butter: Place 4 Tablespoons of salted butter in a bowl to soften to room temperature. Add the zest of one whole lemon to the butter and combine with a fork. Set aside. (Reserve lemon to squeeze over the green beans). Lime Butter is also amazing – just substitute lime for the lemon.
- Shuck the corn by removing the outer husk and all the silk inside. Be sure and keep the end of the cob intact (see pic) so you can use it as a handle to hold the corn while eating it.
- Place corn directly onto grill. Turn occasionally onto each side every couple of minutes until corn is grilled and tender, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from grill and spread citrus butter onto each cob and enjoy.
Fresh Lemon Green Beans
- Pinch off the ends of all the green beans – this is great job for kids and they love it when they get an extra long stem!
- Place beans in a colander and rinse. Shake off any excess water.
- Roll out a large piece of tin foil and place the green beans in the center. Be sure you have enough tin foil to wrap up all the green beans.
- Drizzle with olive oil (approx. 1-2 Tbsp.)
- Squeeze a fresh lemon over the top; and
- Sprinkle with Kosher Salt and Pepper.
- Wrap up tin foil tightly and place on hot grill for 10-15 minutes, turning a couple of times.
- Remove from grill and carefully open up tin foil and serve.
TIP: Be sure that the ends of the tin foil are folded tightly so the package does not leak when on the grill. (You can guess I learned the hard way on this one = )
Combine these veggies with the Easy Grilled Chicken from the cookbook and you will have yourself a quick and easy summertime meal that is even better as leftovers.