Wanted to share this simple and delicious soup recipe while pears are still in season. You can also substitute with apples as the picture shows below.
Roasted Squash & Pear Soup
- 1 Spaghetti Squash, carefully sliced in half
- 4 Pears (can also substitute Apples), chopped into even bite sizes pieces
- 4 Celery Stalks, chopped into even bite sizes pieces
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, chopped into even bite sizes pieces
- 4 Tbsp. Olive, Oil
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt and 1 tsp. Pepper, combined and sprinkled over vegetables
- 1 ½ tsp. of Kosher Salt (may have to add up to an additional tsp. or two to taste, depending on saltiness of your chicken stock)
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. of Fresh Thyme or 2 tsp. of dried Thyme
- 2 cups Water
- 4 cups of Chicken Stock
TIP: I rarely attempt to cube raw squash as it can be very dangerous with its extra thick skin. An easier method is to slice in half and roast until soft and then scoop out the soft center.
Preheat oven to 375. Carefully slice squash in half and remove seeds. Place onto a baking sheet. Chop pears, celery and onion into even bite-size pieces and place onto a separate baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over squash, pears, celery and onion; and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place baking sheets in oven for approximately 1 ½ hours or until squash is tender.
Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Scoop out softened squash from shell and puree in food processor. Add to large stock pot over medium-high heat. Finish processing remaining roasted vegetables in food processor and then add to pot. Stir in spices, water, and chicken stock, adjusting spices to taste. Heat through until hot.