Thanks to all who joined in on the February Super Soul. We squeezed in a lot of food for thought so wanted to provide a summary. As you will see we were a bit all over the place but nonetheless there were a lot of take-homes:
Who are you to tell me what I can and cannot do?
Lynne introduced us to Colorado Native, Amy Van Dyken, 6 time Olympic gold medalist in swimming who has overcome insurmountable odds in her life – a young, gangly, uncoordinated, asthmatic girl turned Olympian, turned survivor and champion for life. You can take a listen beginning at the 59:18 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljuVwRpyvnE.
An unkind encounter with some mean girls early on in Amy’s life turned into a catalyst and empowered her in each obstacle she has since faced. These girls tried to tell her what she couldn’t do. She has since proven them wrong, time and time again, and has used these words to propel her in life.
Who are you to tell me what I can and cannot do? You do not know my heart, you do not know my soul and you haven’t a clue of what I am capable of.
Angela Davis – Walk in Purpose
Angela Davis motivates through movement so we had everyone up on their feet to experience her words. Here were some of the highlights:
- Tell the people around you how much you appreciate them.
- You have to be willing to look at the people in your life and speak to the gift.
- Life and death is in the power of the tongue. You have the ability to unlock someone’s greatness by your words of encouragement and affirmation. Not only to the people in your life but to yourself.
- You are who you say you are. And you are who you think you are. And who is it that you say you are?
- You have to be very mindful of that conversation that you have with yourself. (We have to stop listening to ourselves and instead speak to the gift in ourselves)
- It doesn’t matter what they say about you. What do you say about you?
- Every single one of you was created in purpose, and on purpose, for a purpose.
- Get still and quiet.
- You have to sell out to the call on your life, the assignment.
- If you are having a hard time figuring out your purpose, step in passion, step in faith.
- If you could wake up each day and step in passion and faith, it will begin to reveal itself to you. Angela refers to it as the “Yellow Brick Road Faith.” Each brick of life will reveal itself and continue to show up. Next thing you know the yellow brick road reveals itself and you begin to skip in purpose.
- That vision that you had for your life. That dream you had for your life. That dream is valid. That vision he had for your life – he never would have allowed for you to see it if it wasn’t for you.
Graced for Your Race
- What season in life are you in…a mountain or valley? Call the gift forward.
- Surround yourself with people who speak to the gift and fan your flame.
- You have to have people in your life who will hold your arms up when you can’t hold them for yourself. We are here for you “Super Soul Sisters” – you know who you are!
- What is the gift and call on your life?
- Put a demand on your potential.
- Visualize yourself running your race? Layer in discipline and hope.
- Are you seeing and speaking to the gift in others and yourself?
- We are all graced for our own race.
We had the ladies answer the following questions and then share it with the person next to them – an uncomfortable yet empowering moment and reminded us all that “if it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you”: you are who you say you are questions
A Man’s Only Limitation
We could have spent the whole night talking about the movie, The Greatest Showman. One scene in particular that we wanted to show everyone was the one on the rooftop where Hugh Jackman presents his daughter with the simplest of birthday gifts but one full of wonder and magic. Take a look at the clip (pardon the Spanish subtitles)
“A man’s station is only limited by his imagination.”
This isn’t the life I promised you.
Not even close.
I promised you a life of magic and wonder.
Look at those two girls, I have everything I want…right here.
Hugh Jackman then lights a candle and places it under a lantern and spins it and a magical world appears on the white sheets that surround them and he says,
If you could dream something up…anything…what would it be?
Playing in the background of this clip is the song, “Never Enough”. You can feel the emotion in the lyrics, “You set off a dream with me. Getting louder now. Can you hear it echoing?”
Have you ever had an experience where a dream was set off within you and continued to grow in strength and desire?
It is in finding the imagination that we can dream.
The lyrics of this particular song have such significant meaning for so many.
- When will enough be enough for any of us?
- When will we stop seeking more in our lives?
- When will we realize that we have enough right before our very eyes and can create the wonder and magic for ourselves in our very own minds.
No different than Amy Van Dyken and her Olympic counterparts, they have learned to master the mind, challenge their beliefs, their limitations and draw and build upon a strength that is within us all.
Recreate this rooftop moment for yourself, go into a dark room with a pen, flashlight and out of all things, a colander. Turn off all the lights, place the pen in the center of the colander, shine the flashlight up and underneath the colander and then spin it and watch magic appear on your walls. I would even go so far as to say to play the song, “A Million Dreams” while you are doing this and then experience the magic of your own imagination. Ask yourself, “If I could dream something up…anything…what would it be?” And, simply dream for yourself. When is the last time you dreamed for yourself?
This message correlated with the idea of learning to get quiet and still. It is just a different take on how to find your imagination again and that sense of wonder and magic.
In closing, we had everyone close their eyes and we listened to the words of Angela Davis and recounted a summary of what she taught us a year ago at the Belong Tour: https://artisticsideofme.wordpress.com/2016/12/12/the-way-you-do-one-thing-is-the-way-you-do-everything/
By sharing, we hoped everyone walked away feeling uplifted and inspired to “imagine” in their own life.