What if we lived in a world where people share just for the sake of sharing? No hidden ulterior motives, money making schemes behind the scenes just generosity silently slipping its way into the cracks of life, touching people at their core.
In this day and age, a stamp of naivety brands itself onto these “au naturel” concepts of life but many share in the idea that you can’t put a price tag, a job title or accolade on a caring, generous life.
Last night, this concept was brought to life in such a fun way with a Favorite Things party. Bring 3 of your favorite things ($10 or less) to share with others and everyone goes home with 3 new favorites.
Here is how: When guests arrive have them place their 3 identical gifts under the tree. Have your guests write their name down on 3 slips of paper. Place the slips of paper in a bowl for the gift drawing. Have each person share why their gift is one of their favorite things and then they draw three names from the bowl and share their gift with three others. Don’t forget to have your favorite Christmas music playlist playing in the background and an offering of prosecco and goodies helps with the fun too!
It was so fun to see the eclectic mixture of favorites from everyone. Here is the list of our group’s Favorite Things of 2017 (and guess what, these are not sponsored products nor does anyone receive any monetary benefit from sharing these. Just good ‘ol fashion sharing for the sake of sharing something you love with others. That’s true joy in my book. Enjoy!
- Punch Studio Music Box – One of our friends shared her story of living in an era of receiving only one gift at Christmastime and reminisced with us about a special Madame Alexander wind-up music box she received one Christmas. As a homage to that special time, she shared with us a Punch Studio wind-up music box with a beautifully scented soap inside.
- Rose Beauty Water – One of our gals shared her secret to happiness and how homemade rose water brings her to life by spritzing it on her skin and face. It even has an added bonus of dewrinkling clothes (we were hoping she would say that it would dewrinkle our skin too, ha!)
- Bottle Top Magnets in a Window Metal Box – A great handmade gift. You can purchase bottle caps online and place a magnet on the back of them and then place a picture filled gem in it to make a beautiful magnet. The piece de resistance was placing them into a window framed metal tin.
- Handmade Sinus Pillow – this aromatherapy gift is perfect for those wanting to decompress and relax from the busyness of the holidays.
- Philosophy Face and Body Wash (Purity and Snow Angel).
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Lip Balm and Lotion. This was a secret passed down from a mother-in-law to her daughter-in-law as a must-have for vacations.
- EOS Tube Lip Balm – Vanilla Bean. A hypoallergenic favorite shared by a friend who has sensitive skin.
- Lemongrass Spa Frosted Cranberry Soap – the scent is divine.
- Cuddle Duds Double Layer Lounge Socks – A must have when we all crawl into our winter caves to get cozy.
- Patch Apothecary Soaps and Lip Balm – A friend shared her love of a neighbor’s all natural handmade products.
- Time and Coffee. One of our gals gave everyone her favorite thing….time and coffee..by sharing a Starbucks Gift card. She also added that she loves Jazz Apples from Trader Joe’s.
- Bath & Body Works Holiday Scented Candles – a friend shared this as an homage for her love of scents and camping. (Camp Winter – Frosted Cranberry, Flannel and Awesome Balsam).
- Au Naturel Nails – My sister shared these OPI products with me and I have been hooked ever since. Opi Natural Nail Base Coat and Opi Nail Lacquer – Bubble Bath.
- Home Goods/TJ Maxx – You can always find something fun at Home Goods.
- Table Topics (3 pack Conversation Cards)– Fun cards to share during Dinner with Friends, Drinks after Work or Wine Wednesday
- Fleur de Sel from Trader Joe’s (Seasonal) – A great finishing salt for most anything (popcorn, cookies or a favorite meal). Someone also shared that Costco is selling Truffle Salt right now that is one of Oprah’s Favorite Things!
- Wilkins & Son’s Seedless Raspberry Jam – Did you say no seeds – indeed a favorite.
- Spiced Chai Tea from Trader Joe’s. You would think that this product was shared for drinking hot chai tea but surprisingly, it is used for delicious cookies. Give them a try – Orange Spiced Chai Tea Cookies
- Loose Leaf Tea Infuser to steep fresh herbs or spices and enjoy on a cold winter’s day.
- Refresh Citrus Bath from Trader Joe’s – a lovely scent sure to put a smile on your face.
- Microplane Spice Grater with Whole Nutmeg – freshly grated spices will change your life.
- 1” Cookie Scoop (also ½” and 2” cookie scoops) – a secret to professional looking cookies and scooping consistent size muffins, meatballs, etc.
- Extra Large Star Tip and Coupler with Machine Washable Pastry Bag and Squeeze Bottle – The keys to making beautifully decorated cupcakes or biscotti.
- Whole Cinnamon Sticks – Nothing like the scent of cinnamon steeped in Hot Wahsail or grated on top of Hot Chocolate.
- Magnolia Magazine – December issue – Joanna Gaines shares an article on a “Favorite Things” party which sealed the deal of hosting a Favorite Things party.
- The Alchemist by Paolo Coehlo – an inspiring tale of self-discovery.
- Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom – a special book with incredible life lessons. Stay tuned for an upcoming Super Soul on this book!
- Nobody’s Cuter Than You by Melanie Shankle – I had to personally share this book as my dear friend, Carrie Rigor, shared this book with me a few years ago and I have never forgotten the words on the back of the book. I took the quote and created a handmade ornament to give to everyone to hang on their tree in celebration of friendship and sisterhood.
Hope you enjoy all that was shared. Maybe this will inspire you to host a “Favorite Things” party and/or make it an annual tradition of your own.
We closed last night with a thoughtful expression that I hope will guide you in the coming weeks – a reminder to put yourself in the way of beauty this holiday season.
P.S As the New Year launches, the plan is to host a January Super Soul on Sunday, January 7th with a Share Dinner/Soup Sunday discussing a Life of Connection (Hoping Brave Beauty can join us as I grovel my way back from a mishap with the December “Super Soul” date). An email will go out in the coming weeks with all the details. If you would like to join in or would like more info. about the event and aren’t on the email distribution list, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.